Return to Headlines

McKinney-Vento Homeless Education and ESSA Every Student Succeeds Act

Helping Families in Transition

Falmouth Public Schools Homeless Liaison and Foster Care Point of Contact:
Anne Barnes
Assistant Director of Special Education
(508) 548-0151 extension 141

If you lost your housing and now live in a shelter, motel, vehicle, camping ground, or temporary trailer; on the street; doubled-up with family or friends; or in another type of temporary or inadequate housing, your child may be eligible to receive help through a federal law called the McKinney-Vento Act.

Under the McKinney–Vento Act, children in homeless situations have the right to:

  • Go to school, no matter where they live or how long they have lived there.
  • Attend either a local school or the school of origin, if this is in their best interest; the school of origin is the school the child attended when he/she was permanently housed or the school in which the child was last enrolled.
  • Receive transportation to and from the school of origin.
  • Enroll in school immediately even if missing records and documents are normally required for enrollment, such as birth certificate, proof of residence, previous school records, or immunization/medical records.
  • Enroll, attend classes, and participate fully in all school activities while the school gathers records.
  • Have access to the same programs and services that are available to all other students, including transportation, and attend school with children not experiencing homelessness. A school cannot exclude a student because he/she is homeless.

ESSA Title 1 Part A:

Foster care students include all children for which the state child welfare agency (DCF) has responsibility for their out-of-home 24-hour substitute care. This includes all foster homes, kinship placements, group homes, STARR programs, Transitional Care Units (TCU), and other placements.

  • The foster care provisions cover all children while in foster care accessing a public education through graduation.
  • A child in foster care has the right to remain enrolled in his/her school origin for the duration of their time in foster care or until he/she completes all the grades in that school.
  • LEAs must collaborate with DCF to ensure transportation is provided, arranged, and funded. 
  • If it is determined that it is not in the student's best interest to remain in the school of origin, the student has the right to immediately enroll, with or without documentation, in the district where the student is currently placed. 

Falmouth Community Resources

  • Food Pantry: 508-548-2794 Falmouth Service Center at 611 Gifford Street, Falmouth
  • SNAP (Food Stamps): 1-508-862-6600
    EOHHS Service Center or 508-548-2794
    Falmouth Service Center for an appointment or 508-548-0533 Falmouth Human Services for information
  • Free Meal: St. Barnabas Parish House, 91 Main Street, Falmouth, serving lunch
    Monday-Wednesday-Friday, 11:30am-12:30pm
  • Fuel Assistance: 1-508-746-6707 South Shore Community Action or 508-548-2794 Falmouth Service Center for appointment
  • Utilities Assistance: 508-548-2794 Falmouth Service Center for appointment
  • Housing Assistance: 508-548-1977 Falmouth Housing Authority or 1-508-771-
    5400 Housing Assistance Corporation or 508-548-0533 Falmouth Human Services
    for advocacy
  • Health Insurance: 508-495-7157 Falmouth Hospital Financial Services
    (Forms also available at Falmouth Human Services)
  • Elder Services: 508-540-0196 Falmouth Senior Center or 1-800-244-4630 Elder Services of Cape Cod
  • Veterans Services: 508-495-7450 Falmouth
  • Employment Services/Unemployment Benefits: 1-508-771-5627 Career
    Opportunities Center
  • Social Security Office: 1-855-881-0212
  • Financial Assistance Programs: 1-508-862-6600 MA Department of
    Transitional Assistance (Programs for families, elderly and disabled)
  • Anonymous Mental Health Self-assessment - Falmouth Human Services
  • Crisis Response: 1-833-229-2683 Bay-Cove
  • Falmouth Human Services 508-548-0533 Counseling and support services to help with stress, anxiety, or life’s difficulties.

If you know of a family or student who may be eligible for services through the McKinney-Vento Act, please contact the Office of Student Services at (508)548-0151 x 143