JFBB: School Choice
It is the policy of this district to admit non-resident students under the terms and conditions of the Interdistrict School Choice Law (M.G.L. 76:12B) and under the following local conditions:
- That by May 1 of every school year, the administration will determine the number of spaces in each school available to school choice students.
- That by June 1 of every school year, if consideration is being given to withdraw from the provisions of the choice law, a public meeting will be held to review this decision.
- That the selection of nonresident students for admission when the numbers of requests exceed the number of available spaces be in the form of a random drawing. There will be two drawings for this purpose. The first will take place no later than June 1. The second will be conducted no later than August 1 if there are still spaces available.
- Any student who is accepted for admission under the provisions of this policy is entitled to remain in the district until graduation from high school except if there is a lack of funding for the program.
- Any student who is accepted for admission must complete the registration process within five (5) school days after being notified of their acceptance.
- The Falmouth School Committee affirms its position that it shall not discriminate in the admission of any child on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, sex, gender identity, disability, age, sexual orientation, marital status, military status, homelessness, proficiency in the English language, or any other class protected by federal, state or local law. Further, it shall not discriminate in the admission of any child on the basis of athletic performance or academic performance.
LEGAL REFS.: M.G.L. 71:6; 71:6A; 76:6; 76:12; 76:12B
BESE Regulations 603 CMR 26.00
CROSS REFS.: AC, Harassment and Discrimination Prevention