IJNDD: Policy on Social Media
The Superintendent and Principals will annually remind staff members and orient new staff members concerning the importance of maintaining proper decorum in the online, digital world as well as in person. Employees must conduct themselves in ways that do not distract from or disrupt the educational process. The orientation and reminders will give special emphasis to:
1. Improper fraternization with students using social media or other electronic means.
- Teachers may not friend, follow, or otherwise engage current students on social media outside of official school business.
- All electronic contacts with students should be through the district’s computer and telephone system, except emergency situations.
- Team, class, or student organization pages, accounts, or groups will be created only in conjunction with the coach or faculty advisor. All groups must include the appropriate school administrator as a member. Access to the page will remain with the coach or faculty advisor.
- All contact and messages by coaches and faculty advisors with team members shall be sent to all team members, except for messages concerning medical or academic privacy matters, in which case the messages will be copied to the appropriate school
- Teachers will not give out their private cell phone or home phone numbers without prior approval of the district.
- Inappropriate contact with students via phone or electronic device is prohibited.
2. Inappropriateness of posting items with sexual content
3. Inappropriateness of posting items exhibiting or advocating use of drugs and alcohol
4. Examples of inappropriate behavior from other districts, as behavior to avoid
5. Monitoring and penalties for improper use of district computers and technology
6. The possibility of penalties, including dismissal from employment, for failure to exercise good judgment in online conduct.
The Superintendent or designees will periodically conduct internet searches to see if teachers have posted inappropriate materials online. When inappropriate use of computers and websites is discovered, the Principals and Superintendent will promptly bring that inappropriate use to the attention of the staff member and may consider and apply disciplinary action up to and including termination.