BDB: School Committee Officers
Duties of the Chairperson
Chairperson will preside at meetings and decide questions of order. The Chairperson will have the same right as other members to offer resolutions, to make or second motions, to discuss questions, and to vote thereon. The Chairperson will perform those duties that are consistent with their office and those required by law, state regulations, and this Committee.
In carrying out these responsibilities, the chairperson will:
- Sign the instruments, acts, and orders necessary to carry out state requirements and the will of the Committee.
- Consult with the Superintendent in the planning of the Committee's agendas.
- Confer with the Superintendent on crucial matters that may occur between Committee meetings.
- Appoint subcommittees, subject to Committee approval.
- Call special meetings of the Committee as found necessary.
- Be public spokesperson for the Committee at all times except as this responsibility is specifically delegated to others.
- Be responsible for the orderly conduct of all Committee meetings.
As presiding officer at all meetings of the Committee, the chairperson will:
- Call the meeting to order at the appointed time.
- Announce the business to come before the Committee in its proper order.
- Enforce the Committee's policies relating to the order of business and the conduct of meetings.
- Recognize persons who desire to speak, and protect the speaker who has the floor from disturbance or interference.
- Explain what the effect of a motion would be if this is not clear to members.
- Restrict discussion to the question when a motion is before the Committee.
- Answer all parliamentary inquiries.
- Put motions to a vote, stating definitely and clearly the vote and result thereof.
Duties of the Vice-Chairperson
The vice-chairperson of the Committee will act in the absence of the chairperson as presiding officer of the Committee and will perform such other duties as may be delegated or assigned to them.
The secretary of the school committee will act in the absence of the chairperson and vice-chairperson as presiding officer of the Committee and will perform such other duties as may be delegated or assigned to them.
Note: The treasurer of the town serves as treasurer of the School Committee.
LEGAL REF.: M.G.L. 71:36