Introduction to Piano
Classroom Expectations and Syllabus
My office is located in the choir room (room 1040)
Extra Help Day: Thursday
Two pocket folder or 1 ½” binder
- Come prepared with a positive attitude and patience! Learning a new instrument is difficult, but all students will be allowed to work at the pace that best suits their current level of understanding.
- Keyboards, computers, headphones, and other equipment will be used properly with great care. All students will be assigned to a keyboard to use for each class.
- No food, gum, or drink of any kind will be allowed in class.
- Students may use the provided headphones or bring their own.
- Unless authorized to do so by the teacher, any use of the computers beyond initial setup is not allowed.
- Phones and other electronics are not allowed out during class time
- Any tardy beyond the third per quarter results in a teacher detention
- Failure to abide by classroom rules will result in a warning followed by a teacher detention
Extra Practice Time:
You may practice after school any day that I am in the building, or during Clipper Time. My after-school help day is Thursday.
Playing tests – 50%
Written theory quizzes – 20%
Skills tests (scales & chord progressions) – 15%
Final Performance and Written Exam- 15%
Lesson Book Playing Tests:
- Students will perform assigned pieces for me each week. Grades are assessed on a rubric which will be provided to you.
- Advanced students may test out of pieces early in order to work on more challenging material.
Written Theory Quizzes:
Students must be able to read music in order to play piano so rudimentary musical knowledge will be taught and graded.
Students will be tested on I-IV-V-I chord progressions in the left and right hands separately, and one octave scales in several major and minor keys, using the hands together.
LATE WORK: Students will lose five points a school day past the due date. After five school days have passed, the work will not be accepted
The final exam is a playing test in the form of a recital. Students will play on the piano on stage in front of the class. The final exam piece needs to be approved by the teacher. If you play a piece from memory, you can earn bonus points. There will also be a written final exam, which will be cumulative and will cover all theory from previous quizzes. As this class is a semester class, ALL students take the final exam.